High five for wanting to learn more about Bay essential oil!
- Botanical Name: Pimenta racemosa
- Appearance: Golden yellow to amber clear liquid
- Strength: Moderate to Strong
- Description: Spicy clove-like scent, with a hint of herbal and fruity sweetness
- Highlights: Not to be confused with Bay Laurel, this essential oil is commonly known as West Indian Bay. Bay is responsible for a well-known fragrance type: Bay Rum, which is popular in products for men.
Want to learn more about this essential oil? Here’s some of my favorite resources:
- Robert Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety, Pages 209 – 210
- Julia Lawless’ The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Pages 46 – 47
- The Good Scents Company
Every essential oil contains constituents, and every batch of essential oil can be different. For Bay essential oil, we compiled constituent rates from several gas chromatograph analyses and cross-referenced with medical/science literature and studies. Each rate was then weighted in the higher range to ensure restrictions covered for general safe usage. Your specific Bay essential oil may or may not contain all of the following constituents or contain them at these rates.
Here are the constituents and rates used in the calculator for Bay essential oil: