High five for wanting to learn more about Geranium essential oil!
- Botanical Name: Pelargonium graveolens
- Appearance: Colorless to yellow green/pale amber clear liquid
- Strength: Moderate to strong
- Description: A spicy floral aroma with hints of fresh greens and a touch of sweetness
- Highlights: Geranium is one of the most confusing essential oils to source with a robust number of synonyms that aren’t used consistently across the board by distributors, remember to use your botanical names!
Want to learn more about this essential oil? Here’s some of my favorite resources:
- Robert Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety, Pages 292 – 294
- Julia Lawless’ The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Pages 100 – 101
- The Good Scents Company
Every essential oil contains constituents, and every batch of essential oil can be different. For Geranium essential oil, we compiled constituent rates from several gas chromatograph analyses and cross-referenced with medical/science literature and studies. Each rate was then weighted in the higher range to ensure restrictions covered for general safe usage. Your specific Geranium essential oil may or may not contain all of the following constituents or contain them at these rates.
Here are the constituents and rates used in the calculator for Geranium essential oil:
- Citral (Contains 1%)
- Citronellol (Contains 25%)
- Geraniol (Contains 16%)
- Geranium IFRA (Contains 100%)
- Linalool (Contains 4.5%)