High five for wanting to learn more about Spearmint essential oil!
- Botanical Name: Mentha spicata
- Appearance: Colorless to pale yellow clear liquid
- Strength: Moderate
- Description: Fresh minty aroma with slight hint of fruit, lighter and somewhat sweeter than peppermint
- Highlights: Using spearmint essential oil in cold process soapmaking will sometimes create a greyish rind of discoloration around the loaf of soap
Want to learn more about this essential oil? Here’s some of my favorite resources:
- Robert Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety, Pages 427 – 428
- Julia Lawless’ The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Pages 140 – 141
- The Good Scents Company
Every essential oil contains constituents, and every batch of essential oil can be different. For Spearmint essential oil, we compiled constituent rates from several gas chromatograph analyses and cross-referenced with medical/science literature and studies. Each rate was then weighted in the higher range to ensure restrictions covered for general safe usage. Your specific Spearmint essential oil may or may not contain all of the following constituents or contain them at these rates.
Here are the constituents and rates used in the calculator for Spearmint essential oil: