It’s World Beard Day Sept 4th! World Beard Day is just a fun unofficial holiday celebrating all things beard— so, we thought we’d share a simple, yet amazing, Beard Oil recipe using one of our EOCalc blends, for all of those who love their bearded friends! Remember, beards are not a fad— shaving actually is a fad! Did you know that through recent history, it was very dangerous to shave on the regular, even in the military? Facial hair was a very common sight for most men in and out of the military, up until about World War I.
So let’s celebrate those beards by formulating something fun for them!
Remember to use good manufacturing practices for any products you make, even for home use— clean, sanitary workspace, sanitary utensils, no pets or kid interruptions! As always, you alone are responsible for the creations you make and sell/give away, so do it right.
Always work by weight! If you don’t already have a scale, we highly recommend the My Weigh KD-8000 for your formulations.
Ingredients & Equipment You’ll Need
- A Set of Empty 2 oz Dropper Bottles – we like this set because it comes with small funnels that make it easier to fill your bottles!
- Organic Jojoba Oil
- Organic Castor Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Measuring Pipettes
- Measuring Cups – We prefer to work with glass. It’s the easiest to clean and sanitize.
- Essential Oil Blending Cups – These are the perfect small size for weighing out your EO blends for projects of this size.
- Small Metal Spoon or Small Silicone Spatula
- Labels – These are a perfect size for printing out and placing on your creation!
- YOUR ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND! We prefer pre-blending larger amounts of our favorite essential oil library blends in these 2oz Amber Glass Bottles. This way we can easily create multiple products without having to weigh out each individual essential oil, every time we create a product. Always do this by weight with your bottle on a scale, and remember to label each bottled blend for safety!
- Mini Mixer – While a clean metal spoon works well for stirring, a higher powered, yet small, mixer will incorporate your ingredients faster and more evenly than hand-stirring.
Nourishing Beard Oil
For this recipe we will provide percentages, rather than weights, since some folks may want to make more or less than others. It’s also easier for our friends using both Ounces or Grams.
Beard Oil Ingredients By Percentage
- 35% Sweet Almond Oil
- 25% Avocado Oil
- 25% Jojoba Oil
- 14% Castor Oil
- 0.5% Vitamin E
- 0.5% “Stashed” EO Blend (That blend not your jam? Try one of these other amazing “manly” blends for beard oil).
- Weigh out each ingredient into your clean mixing bowl, remembering to ‘tare’ the scale to “0” between ingredients.
- Mix ingredients VERY well with a clean utensil or a mini mixer.
- Bottle your blend evenly across your clean, dry dropper bottles. The small funnels or measuring pipettes will help with this step.
- Label your product appropriately– don’t forget the name of your beard oil, how much is in the bottle, and all the ingredients! Remember, if you give these away or sell them, the labels must be compliant with your country’s cosmetic regulations. In the USA, we recommend reading Marie Gale’s blog for helpful labeling information.
Can you substitute carrier oils?
Of course! We recommend really studying the fatty acid and viscosity of each carrier oil you wish to substitute, so you can better balance more ‘dry’ feeling, quick absorbing oils, with more nourishing, thicker oils.
A couple great carrier oils you can try to substitute for ones listed above would be:
Play around with oils and their ratios until you find one that feels the best for you! A well balanced formula will go a long way to absorbing into beard hair.
From body butters, to perfume rollers, to cold process soaps, to bath bombs, our free library is stuffed full of awesome essential oil blends that will inspire and elevate your handmade bath and body lines. (even for Beard Oil!)
Calculate a usage rate from all our oils in the library, or get inspired to make your own blend.
What are your favorite ingredients, blends or essential oils for beard oil? Drop a comment below and share your ideas!